How to shorten length of a line feature from one side?

07-23-2017 01:43 PM
JanTichy
New Contributor

Hi, I have a class of lines and I need to shorten them just from one side to a specific length (that they will be still connected in angle). I have an information about start / end of a line (nodes) in a table and I tried to figure out it throught adding points, but still can´t find a way. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are up for scripting, using an ArcPy DA update cursor and Polyline segmentAlongLine can accomplish this fairly easily.

JanTichy
New Contributor

No, the thing is that I don't have any idea how to write some script for this...

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

While you  are in edit session , select the line that you want to shorten.

then open edit menu and select Split tool. specify the distance and the side (start/ end ) according to the arrows direction(see the 2nd picture) on the line .after that you can delete no needed part.

JanTichy
New Contributor

Thanks for your response, this works great, but just for one feature. I have several thousands of line features in the class and need to make it for all of them to one specific length. I thought that the solution would be make it throught the start / end points of the line - to create a new lines between points with a certain length. But there is a question how to set the length and also how to create lines just for every two points (field "arcid") from end point of line (lower "objectid"). Anyone have some idea?

0 Kudos
JanTichy
New Contributor

I found a way how to solve my analysis (which is behind this step) otherwise. So I don´t need more a solution for this question. 🙂

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

You can write the answer to help the other. and mark your answer as answer correct

0 Kudos
JanTichy
New Contributor

Of course I would do it. But I didn´t solve this. I found another way how to make what I needed, and so I didn´t make this multiple shortening of lines finally.

0 Kudos