how to join permanently table to raster

01-19-2012 05:19 AM
Louis-VincentGagne
New Contributor
Hi,

On one side, I have a table that contains 7 colomns and one of it is a unique value, from 1 to 50 (VALUE field). On the other site, I have a raster with the VALUE field (from 1 to 50) and the COUNT fiels. I can do a right-click(on the raster)=>joins and relates to join my table to the RASTER (it appears in the attribute table from the raster).

But here is my problem, I can't make this join permanent... Is there a way to do so? exporting the raster with the join table doesn't work...

I'm using ArcMAP 10.

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Use the CopyRaster tool (from the toolbox). In my experience, this has preserved the join fields in the output raster.
0 Kudos
Louis-VincentGagne
New Contributor
Hi,

CopyRaster tool does the same thing... it copies the raster but doesn't keep the join table...
0 Kudos
PaulKroseman
Occasional Contributor II
You could create a copy of the raster, manually add the fields to the copy, join your data, then use field calculator on each field. Not great but it should work.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The way raster tools work, it really makes sense to keep attributes in a separate table if you can, as any subset or clipping of the raster data in most cases will lose all attributes except VALUE and COUNT.

That said, I believe the Join Field tool will do what you want.
0 Kudos
DenisMariano
New Contributor
After you join all the tables you want, you can do an Extraction by mask or something like that and the new raster dataset will contain all the table`s information. I`ve done that on the World Soils Map from FAO. It worked really nice and I also extracted my area of interest.

Denis Mariano
0 Kudos
DianeMcConnaughey
Occasional Contributor
Exporting VATs to independent tables then joinig those tables back to combined GRIDs worked:) Somtimes if I did a join directly back to the GRID, I would only get the column names of the joined table, but none of the values. It would be nice if the Combine function or others allowed you to keep descriptive attributes
0 Kudos