How to find polygons that adjacent to the selected polygon

11-02-2021 11:18 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to select all adjacent  polygons to the selected polygon.  For example find adjacent properties to the selected property.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

What are you using?  ArcGIS Desktop or Pro?  Also, what version?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Select features by location.  Within 0 feet; Share a line; etc....

That should just about do it....
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Boundary touches (BOUNDARY_TOUCHES in Python) or Intersect (INTERSECT in Python) relationship among many other such relationships in Select By Location: Select based on spatial relationship within the layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

Think Location
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Must be a common task this week...

See the answer here

Solved: Re: How to identify polygons on the boundary - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

I am using ArcGIs deskttop 10.7 but I can also do the same search in ArcGIs Pro.

How do you do a Select By Location on the same layer? The samples I saw use an source layer and a target layer that are different.

Thanks  

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@JoseSanchez 

Hello... In ArcGIS Pro, you would select the polygon you want to perform the select by location on and then click "Select By Location" tool in the Map ribbon.  When the Select By Location wizard pops up, the input features are automatically populated and then select the "Selecting Features" from that same dataset and then set the appropriate relationship and search distance you are preferring for the selection.  See the pic I attached.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Select By Location: Select based on spatial relationship within the layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The Select Layer By Location tool allows the Input Feature Layer to be the same the layer specified in the Selecting Features parameter. A useful application of this behavior is to select adjacent, connected, or nearby features within a layer.

for reference, the help topic covers your scenario

... sort of retired...