How to determine values in certain layers at point locations from a separate layer?

12-09-2013 05:04 AM
MortimerTwist
New Contributor
Hi folks,

I have shapefile of about 500 individual point locations that are the focus of my study.

I also have a couple layers (both raster and vector) of things like Slope, Aspect, and landcover etc and I'm trying to figure out a way to get the associated data from those layers for each of my 500 points.

For instance, what is the slope, aspect, and landcover at Point 1, at Point 2, at Point 3, etc.

When I previously did this for a very small data set I simply went around and used the Identify feature to see what the values were for the other layers at each point, but with 500 points, this is obviously not very efficient.

Is there is a way that I can do this? I just need to get the associated data and don't necessarily have to have it join or added to the attributes if exporting a table would work as well. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
The Spatial Join tool will do this for you.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
As Tim mentioned, the Spatial Join will work if both datasets are vector.  If one input is vector and the other input(s) is raster, you will want to use the Extract Multi Values to Points tool.
0 Kudos
MortimerTwist
New Contributor
Thanks for the help. As one of my layers was a raster, the Spatial Join Tool didn't work. But Tim's tip did point me in the direction of another method that did the trick: Extract Values to Table. In fact this was a bit preferred since I could copy and past out of the new table into a summary spreadsheet.

I have to do this with another two layers that are both vector this time, so hopefully the Spatial Join Tool works for me.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos