How to convert latitude and longitude to UTM?

01-19-2015 01:20 AM
MonyrothLy
New Contributor III

Dear everyone

i need help.    

Can we use Arcmap for convert coordinate from latitude and longitude to UTM? How?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes...you can either use the Project tool to project your data then use the calculate geometry option in the table to get the projected coordinates, or if you already have the data your want projected in a table, set the projection of the data frame to UTM, then use the calculate geometry with the option of using the projection of the data frame rather than in native units to return the results

AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Another option you could use is the coordinate notation tool:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Regards

Anthony

MonyrothLy
New Contributor III

Dear Mr. Dan Patterson.

I have many points from excel files, however i cannot transfer this point to Arcmap. what should i do?

I want to convert this point from hddd mm'ss.s to UTM.

latitudelongitude
13° 8'25.69"103° 7'38.76"

Sorry Sir. My English is not good.

Best Regard

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

first you have to convert into a format which can be used by arcmap, currently it is degrees minutes seconds

you can do this in excel if the data are in separate columns...otherwise you have bigger problems

13° 8' 25.69" =

seconds to minutes = ( 25.69/60) = 0.42816666....

minutes to degrees =  (8.42816666 / 60 ) = 0.1404694...

therefore 13.1404694... °

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Another option is to convert your excel data to x/y data in ArcMap, in Geographic projection using the latitude as the Y, and longitude as the X. Once you've done that, you can reproject the data into UTM using the Project tool, and then calculate new X/Y values based on the UTM coordinates.

0 Kudos