How to convert a shapefile to Arc/Info generate format

07-03-2012 12:43 PM
yanghuikang
New Contributor
I have a shapefile of polygons and want to get a generate format of those polygons. I've tried to first convert the shapefile to coverage and then use the ungenerate tool. But the coverage is lack of one piece of polygon compared to the original shapefile (See the attached screen capture, the green polygons are from coverage and the pink ones from the shapefile are in the back layer). And the ungenerate failed by saying "Cannot open coverage file".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15735[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
It is easiest to install ARC/INFO workstation and use SHAPEARC to convert to a coverage, BUILD or CLEAN to fix the topology errors and then UNGENERATE.
It might be possible from ArcGIS if you know how to use workstation, but I have never tried since it is so much better in the original workstation version.
0 Kudos
yanghuikang
New Contributor
It is easiest to install ARC/INFO workstation and use SHAPEARC to convert to a coverage, BUILD or CLEAN to fix the topology errors and then UNGENERATE.
It might be possible from ArcGIS if you know how to use workstation, but I have never tried since it is so much better in the original workstation version.

Hi, thank you very much! That sounds great, but I don't know how to use workstation. I tried a tool called ETGeo Wizard, and used the "ungenerate" tool in it. It directly converted the shapefile to generate~
0 Kudos