How do I control the order that layers generated from a model are added to display?

10-23-2019 12:32 PM
DrewChritton
New Contributor III

I have a Model built in ModelBuilder that generates 3 shapesfiles; A site, a buffer around the site, and a layer of everything intersecting the buffer. The model runs and adds them to the display successfully. My question is, how do I control what order they are added in? Currently the intersection layer is on top covering the buffer which is covering the site. It isn't a big deal to re arrange them after the model runs but if it's possible I would like not to have to. 

I hope this made sense. Let me know if I need to provide additional info or clarify anything. Thanks in advance for any help!

ArcMap v10.7.1

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Work the tool to add them one at a time rather than all at once. It should  quote unquote  add them in the order you added them with the last being on top. Otherwise default should be polygons on the bottom and points on the top.  But multiple polygon layers it should put them in alphabetically. so perhaps try changing the names

0 Kudos
DrewChritton
New Contributor III

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct in that it is adding the layers in the order I added them with the last layer created ending up on top. eg. Model creates the layers in this order: A, B, C and they are added C, B, A. I need them to show up A (top), B, C(bottom). I checked and despite my example, it is not alphabetical. All layers are polygons for this particular model. 

How do I "Work the tool to add them one at a time"? 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

No idea really, I have never had a need. or the few times have I just reordered.

It is adding them in reverse order of creation. Can you reverse the order of creation.

0 Kudos
DrewChritton
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, each is building on the previous layer. A site is selected (first layer), site is buffered (second layer), all polygons within buffer are selected (third layer). It isn't a big deal to re-order them with just three so I don't mind but wanted to find out if there was a way to do it automatically.For example, if I had dozens of layers being generated this way, I would not want to manually reorganize them every time the model was run. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

There has to be a way. If you find it please repost.

0 Kudos
DrewChritton
New Contributor III

I certainly will. The only current way I can think to do this is essentially create the layers again but in the correct order. In my case, my current model would run and I would have the 3 layers I need already generated. I would then use copy features or feature class to feature class to create the second layer, then create the first layer in that order which SHOULD give me the layers in the correct order. But I would end up with copies of layers 1 and 2 and it just seems like an odd workaround, there has got to be a better way.  

0 Kudos