How do I change the extent of a shapefile

05-01-2013 05:09 AM
NasiphiNtshanga
New Contributor
I have 2 shapefiles, 1 is projected and works fine, the other os not projected. so i projected it (using 1st the define projection tool and then the project tool, importing the co ordinate syatem of the first). now everyting is the same except for the extent of the layers and now they wont show together. Please HELP
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
It is quite possible that your un-projected shape file was never properly located.
What happens when you don't project it and you just open it at the same time.

You can try creating a geodatabase and make the dataset the same projection as the projected shapefile.  Then import the unprojected into the dataset and see what happens.

I have 2 shapefiles, 1 is projected and works fine, the other os not projected. so i projected it (using 1st the define projection tool and then the project tool, importing the co ordinate syatem of the first). now everyting is the same except for the extent of the layers and now they wont show together. Please HELP
0 Kudos
NasiphiNtshanga
New Contributor
When I try display both shapefiles, the one unprojected, ArcMap doesnt draw both, it draws the projected shapefile only. I will try creating a geodatabase, hopefully that works.

Thanks Robert
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
ArcMap probably is drawing the unprojected one too, just not in the right place.  Open a blank mxd and add both, it should just open at full extent of the two layers.  This would be a good way to figure out the proper projection for the "unprojected" shapefile.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
When you say it doesn't draw both do you mean that one of them does not appear in the table of contents. 

If both appear right click on each in turn and zoom to layer.  do you each of them when you do that.

When I try display both shapefiles, the one unprojected, ArcMap doesnt draw both, it draws the projected shapefile only. I will try creating a geodatabase, hopefully that works.

Thanks Robert
0 Kudos