How can I store two significance digits in GDB feature table?

06-25-2015 08:56 AM
XingboChen
New Contributor III

I created a GDB line feature to store rivers and I wanted to add a field "LEN" to store river length which need to keep two significance digits. So I try to add a double field, but there was no precision and scale properties to set like add field in a shapefile.

I know how to display two significance digits by right click on the field, click properties and using number format, what I need to know is store two significance digits in attribute table. If anyone knows the solution, please help me, thanks!

QQ截图20150625234414.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Did you try float ? see this thread

0 Kudos
XingboChen
New Contributor III

Yes, but there's still no precision and scale properties in float setting.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Xingbo,

The field precision and scale are ignored while adding a field in Personal/File GDB table. You need to do it from Field properties, as you mentioned.

Think Location
0 Kudos
XingboChen
New Contributor III

So there's no way to set precision and scale in Personal/File GDB table, why? Precision and scale are really helpful:(

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

You can set up Attribute Assistant to preform a rounding calculation on the field during an editing session as soon as the user posts their edit, if you set up the DynamicValue table to do that and include that table in you map project.  The DynamicValue table can be set up to trigger field updates in response to feature creation, attribute changes, geometry updates or manual processing.  The EXPRESSION value method uses VB Script like the following to update the specified field:  Round([LEN], 2)

You can get Attribute Assistant as part of any of the Local Government Information Model component downloads here.

0 Kudos
XingboChen
New Contributor III

Thank you sir, what I need is changing "14" into "14.00" in Personal/File GDB table. But I'll try Attribute Assistant in the future.

0 Kudos
XingboChen
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot, but this won't change the case.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Personal and File GDBs will never be designed to satisfy the strict requirements of a DBA.  Microsoft and Esri created them to be their low cost, easy to use databases that are marketed to attract Excel users to convert their data to a database.  Ease of use will always trump precision and control for this market.

Also, both have an interest in making Personal/File GDB's unsatisfactory alternatives to users of their very high cost lines of Enterprise database solutions.  Precision and control are key to maintaining a distinction in these product lines.  Microsoft and Esri are both expert at keeping functionality out of their low cost product line to protect their high end markets.  We are fortunate that the masses have as much functionality as we do.  So don't hold your breath for this functionality to be added to these low end databases.

XingboChen
New Contributor III

Thank you very much again, sir! Now I know what to explain to my boss.

0 Kudos