Hey, I would like to "Clip" a number of points that fall outside a buffer. How do I clip the features that fall outside the buffer?

11-15-2014 02:11 PM
tannertimothy
New Contributor

I understand how to use the "Clip" tool to an extent. Im just not sure how I would differentiate from the points inside and outside the polygon?

Would anyone be able to suggest or reference me to something that would help me understand?

Thank you,

Tanner

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

simply do a select by location to get all the points within the buffer, then there is a switch selection option which will give you the points without...there are many other options...this is probably the quickest

PeterJones
Occasional Contributor

I agree with Dan's solution. Also, if you want to create a new feature class for those outside you can either 'Create Layer from Selected Features' or 'Export Data' (ensure selected data is ticked). The first option will only create a cartographic layer of the selected, whilst the second option will create a whole separate feature class for the selected.

JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

As well you could erase the points inside the buffer?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Another easy solution is a spatial join. Join the points to the polygon, polygon fields will be joined to the point table. Those points inside the polygon will take on the polygon attributes, and those outside will have null values in the polygon fields.

0 Kudos
ShadyAbushaara
New Contributor II

other suggest

you can use select by location for point that are within a distance from buffer layer and put small distance like 0.1 cm

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Identity tool is the one you're looking for. There's a good article in the help that compares the different ArcGIS overlay tools.

An overview of the overlay toolset:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
SatyanarayanaNarmala
New Contributor III

As you want the features falling outside the buffer layer, Erase tool of Overlay toolset , will solve the problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

which is essentially a select-within, followed by a switch selection...results will be identical

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Haha! I love how the answers to this question perfectly illustrate the point that there are so many ways to get a task done in ArcGIS. We should see just how many we can come up with!

0 Kudos