Help! I can't get to the Environment Settings window

Jump to solution
11-21-2015 06:51 AM
RogerWilson
New Contributor

I'm a student using ArcMap 10.3.  The lesson requires us to change some settings in the Environment Settings window while working on a map within ArcMap.  Nothing happens when I click on Geoprocessing > Environments.  There's no error, no "spinning wheel" as if it's trying to load, but definitely no Environment Settings window either.

I minimized the ArcMap window to make sure it wasn't hidden behind ArcMap.  I've restarted ArcMap, and I've even rebooted Windows.  I've tried to access the Environment Settings window through the ArcCatalog standalone application but had the same result -- nothing.   Am I missing something here?

Or, am I going to have to re-install ArcMap??

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Before doing a complete reinstall, it's always good to try  Resetting your ArcGIS application profile​    And rebooting of course.  That fixes many issues when things suddenly stop working and/or are flakey.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
warrenroberts
Occasional Contributor II

What's the setting u want to do?

0 Kudos
RogerWilson
New Contributor
  1. change the Current Workspace to your directory . Also, change the Scratch Workspace to your directory.
  2. In Processing Extent category and choose Same as layer "elevation" from the Extent pull-down menu.
  3. Expand the Raster Analysis category and select As Specified Below from the Cell size pull-down menu. Type 10 for Cell size. Click OK.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can do that from within the Environments button of a tool that you are running.  Environments access is towards the bottom of all arcmap tools, you can access the settings from there.

RogerWilson
New Contributor

Thanks.  Some of the tools aren't working either (e.g., Data Management/Generalization/Dissolve) so I'm thinking there's some file corruption or other program error.  So, I'm just going to re-install ArcGIS 10.3 and see if that fixes things.  (I've been using this installation since early October with no problem, so this was kind of "out of the blue.")

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

Roger

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Before doing a complete reinstall, it's always good to try  Resetting your ArcGIS application profile​    And rebooting of course.  That fixes many issues when things suddenly stop working and/or are flakey.

RogerWilson
New Contributor

Hi Rebecca

Thanks!  Resetting the application profile worked. Thanks!!

Roger

0 Kudos