GeoTagged Photos To Points

08-04-2011 01:44 PM
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,
Has anyone used the new GeoTagged Photos To Points tool to convert their geotagged photos to a point feature class? I'm curious if people are able to do this effectively with the new tool and what kind of devices are being used to capture the geotagged photos.

Thanks
Drew-Esri
0 Kudos
22 Replies
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Matt, I'm glad you got that bit working. I was also going to suggest that you can check out this extension shared on ArcGIS.com: ArcPhoto. It provides a lot of interesting functionality all centered around mapping digital photos.

Drew
0 Kudos
lynnzhang
New Contributor
Hi Drew

from GCS_WGS_1984 to NAD_1983_StatePlane_California_III_FIPS_0403_Feet,

I use the project tool, but the results are offset.

Do I need to covert datum first, then use the project tool?

thanks,

Lynn

Hi Stacywood,
Will you please describe more about how the projection is wrong? Are the points on the map in a location that you do not expect? If you could provide one sample image (and the city/area where you think it should draw on the map) I would be happy to look into the problem.

All the best,
Drew -Esri
0 Kudos
lynnzhang
New Contributor
Hi Drew,

everything works for this tool.

However, the results are offset, and closeby features are combined into 1 point.  How to improve the accuracy?

thanks,

Lynn
0 Kudos
SophiaPaul
New Contributor II
Dear Esri-experts,

I am desperately trying to use "GeoTagged Photos to Points". It worked perfectly for the first folder of pictures but now it just won't work again. I tried several different folder locations (sometimes ArcGIS doesn't like long folder-names), I tried to have the output in my default geodatabase (also saved me sometimes) and I tried to do the pictures seperately which failed too. And it makes no difference whether the options "include non-geotagged pic" and "add as attachment" are checked or not.
My version of ArcGIS for Desktop is 10.2.0.3348, License is advanced. My computer is running on Windows 8.1 and I created the file-geodatabase for the output with this version.
The pictures I want to import are about 7MB each and in total 245 (but not all of them geotagged).
This is the failure message I keep having:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29647[/ATTACH]
And this is what I told the tool to do:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29648[/ATTACH]

Can anyone help me there? Is there another way to get the information from the GPS-tags to ArcGIS?
Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
Been trying to get this tool to work with Nikon Coolpix photos, ArcGis 10.2 but no joy
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
I just found out it's a somewhat know bug in 10.2, perhaps caused by non-georeferenced photos in your directory. http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/92246-GeoTagged-Photos-To-Points-ERROR-999999-Error-executing-funct...

In my case, upgrading to 10.2.1 fixed it. http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/101704-Trouble-with-Geotagged-photos-to-points-tool
0 Kudos
AntonioLop
New Contributor II
GOOD MORNING.

Today I prove geotagged photos to point in my pc WIN 7 ARCGIS 10.2.1.....

When i export photos in shapefile the result is OK......but if i export to one geodatabase i create.....NOT WORK....ERRORR 99999

BUT IF I EXPORT TO DEAFUL GEODATABASE CREATE BY ARGIS PROGRAM........IT WORK FINE......

I DON´T UNDERSTAND...........
0 Kudos
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III
I use a few open source tools. BR's EXIFextracter gets you a csv based on a specific directory you tell it that your photos are in (creates a csv with fields you choose). Also QGIS has a nice plug-in (Photo2Shape). Cheers!
0 Kudos
NanJordan1
New Contributor

I ran the tool and attached the photos per ESRIS instructions.  When I use the HTML tool, the information for the photo appears, but not the image.  Also, it will not let me click the "add photos as attachments" box.  I tried several times and created new point feature classes, and got the same results.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, we need some more details. What is the path to your output? Is it a file, personal, or sde geodatabase? Or a shapefile?

Some old versions of file geodatabases are not supported, you would first need to upgrade the gdb by opening the geodatabase general properties and clicking the Upgrade button.

You also need at least a Standard ArcGIS for Desktop license, Basic doesn't have geodatabase attachment functionality.

0 Kudos