Geoprocessing "Buffer" fucntion errors with code 999999

05-05-2014 12:45 PM
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
I've got a file Geodatabase with simple point and line classes.  One of the operations I need to perform is to buffer lines to find points within a specified tolerance - say 35 feet.  I'm trying to use the ArcMap Geoprocessing "Buffer" tool, but it always errors with the code 999999.   Here's the error listing from the Geoprocessing log file.

<Errors>
<Error>ERROR 999999: Error executing function.</Error>
<Error>Failed to execute (Buffer).</Error>
</Errors>
<EndTime>Mon May 05 13:58:24 2014</EndTime>
<EndTime>5.38 seconds</EndTime>

I've actually done buffering of different sorts with many other Geodatabases, so I know it generally works, but it appears there is something about this one that's giving the Buffer tool (and me) fits.

First thought was that it had something to do with a faulty Spatial Reference - but this seems to be standard (South Dakota State Plane 1983 FIPS 4002).

Then I thought it might be the absence (or presence) of a Spatial Index.  But I've tried it with classes that have and do not have a spatial index - same result.

The full log file is attached.  Any clues to the source of my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by
New Contributor III
Try running the tool after disabling background processing
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Mark -

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, I don't have background processing enabled.  It tries to process right in front of me.. and fails pretty quickly at that.

Ed
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The 999999 error with topology-related tools can happen if the inputs or large or under specific circumstances. It sure sounds like it may be a data related issue for you.

Also -- use the Check Geometry tool to look for any corrupted geometry.

I see this is version 10.2.

Here's an article about topology tools failing that says it doesn't apply to 10.x -- but you never know when these issues can return...

Problem:  Certain geoprocessing tools will not execute or work unless the user is an administrator
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/29559
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Curtis -

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I ran check geometry on the class and its all ok. 
I'm running as an administrator.

You mentioned an article on topology tools failing but was there a link to this?

Thanks again,
Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Here's some more information on this problem.  I gave a copy of the FGDB to a colleague to test.  She was able to successfully complete the "Buffer' operation on the same class I've been trying -- though my attempts always fail.

We're both running ArcMap 10.2.1.3497.  Both running the Geoprocessing tool in the foreground.

I've tried opening a new map document and adding only this one layer to it.  Buffer still fails.

Since it works for my colleague running the same software on a different machine it would seem there's something about my particular environment....  hmmmmm....

Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
For what its worth, on a suggestion I tried deleting my Normal.mxt... which sounded plausible but did not solve the problem.

Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Forgot to mention another, probably somewhat unique aspect of this environment.  I'm running ArcGIS 10.2.1.  However, prior to installing this version I had installed 10.2.2.  When I found that a partner's solution expected only 10.2.1 I un-installed 10.2.2 and re-installed 10.2.1.  Wondering if something in the un-install and re-install left aspects of the topology engine confused.

Ed
0 Kudos
FrankOgiamien
New Contributor II
I've found the Buffer command to be occasionally stubborn.   Here are a few things I do to avoid the 999999 error.   1.  Make sure you are processing in a workspace on your local hard drive with sufficient memory.   2.  Don't use the Dissolve option.  Dissolve the data in a later step with the Dissolve tool.   3.  Output your features with the SinglePart option.    4.  Run Repair Geometry on input data before the Buffer process if necessary.     5.  Try closing other applications to free up memory   6.  Last resort clip your input data into tiles, buffer the tiles of data and append back together.  Good luck.

Frank
0 Kudos