Generate Coordinate Notations - Trying to obtain UTM coordinates from X,Y Points

Jump to solution
06-14-2021 06:46 PM
ecorf
by
New Contributor II

Hi, I am new here.  This is my first post.  I did try searching this in ArcGIS Pro and Geoprocessing sections first. 

In ArcGIS Pro, I have added X,Y coordinates around a property boundary.  Now, I want to convert those X, Y coordinates to UTM coordinates.  I have tried the Generate Coordinate Notations geoprocessing tool but that leaves me with 2 questions.  1) Some of the points data is blank for the entire row.    2) I don't understand the UTM Bands result as it does not give me the expected result.

I have attached a .png screenshot file.  1) You will notice blank lines for rows 1, 3, 5, 9, 10, etc.  There should be data there.  2) The UTM coordinates should look like what is displayed in the Green circle on the map.   The UTM Band result in the Red circle is not what I expected in the table.    

Thanks for any thoughts!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ecorf
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Tim!  You did get us to take another look at what we were doing.  We found the solution within the X, Y Coordinate analysis.  We didn't need to do the Generate Coordinate Notation.   In the Add XY Coordinates geoprocessing app, we needed to go to the Environments analysis and select UTM and our proper zone.  That converted the X Y Coordinates in the attributes table to UTM.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

That tool is really defence specific. It is expecting latitude and longitude in the POINT_X and POINT_Y fields. Is that what you have? For the empty rows, do the POINT_X and POINT_Y contain values?

You may be better off using the Add Geometry Attributes tool instead.

0 Kudos
ecorf
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Tim!  You did get us to take another look at what we were doing.  We found the solution within the X, Y Coordinate analysis.  We didn't need to do the Generate Coordinate Notation.   In the Add XY Coordinates geoprocessing app, we needed to go to the Environments analysis and select UTM and our proper zone.  That converted the X Y Coordinates in the attributes table to UTM.  

0 Kudos