Force desktop geoprocessing results to save in mxd

01-28-2019 12:32 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

This is kind of in line with this group, but just a little bit different. I am attempting to find a way that will allow me to have all installs of ArcMap use the same options that are found under the "Geoprocessing" drop down menu, then under "Geoprocessing Options" to change the "Results Management" option to be "Never Delete". This solution would have to be enabled across an internal network with remotely connected computers.

I have tried a few different searches, but I have not been able to find a way to do so. Any information or pointing to the correct resource would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Have you looked at map templates? They may not be helpful for existing mxds, but you could give everyone the same setup in their Windows profile for ArcMap options (you may want to do templates for ArcCatalog too). Then each new map would use this. More sophisticated users could change options and save changes to their maps, thus overriding your template options.

If you are worried about users changing options or need to change all existing maps, you'll probably have to do some coding.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was kind of hoping for a silent install of something and the template idea could just be the way of making that happen. Nice idea.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I believe when you change that geo-processing option it is stored in the Normal template, as is all/most other Application level settings. For me the normal template is stored here:

C:\Users\hornbydd\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.6\ArcMap\Templates

How about this as an idea? Setup ArcMap as you want then copy the mxt file to their new respective locations, overwriting the existing mxt. I'm sure you could script a copy file across your network.

This will of cause destroy any existing customisation the user has done! Also I don't know what exactly is in the mxt that relates specifically to the local profile. The mxt is a binary format so is not easy to interrogate.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Duncan,

Thank you for the idea, but I want something less intrusive and will not alert them to the change.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've discovered this interface in the ArcObjects API which appears to change the setting you want:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcobjects/latest/net/webframe.htm#IGeoProcessorSettings2.htm 

I'm not sure how you would run this at the local level of the machine across a network to change the normal template?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Duncan,

This is an interesting find and I have not had much experience working with ArcObjects, but it could be another route of achieving this.

0 Kudos