I know this is an old thread, but has anyone found a good workaround this. I am using 10.6 and have created a model builder tool. I put a ‘calculate area’ into my model builder tool to update the area and it takes more time to run this one calculation than it does to run the rest of the model. It started calculating the area 15 hours ago and is still only 32% done. It usually takes 6-8 hours to run the entire model.
I have found that running things in Python is usually faster than using the tools through the toolbox, but this Model Builder tool is for someone else who doesn’t know python so I am trying to make it using tools they can easily change if they need to later.
After taking a look at Mary's case I was unable to reproduce the performance issues using her data and model. She was able to work around the issue by modifying the order of operations a bit in the model, however, I would guess that there is something on the system being used that is causing the issue. I recommended following some of the troubleshooting issues here when possible.
Mary, thanks for helping us attempt to investigate what you were seeing.