Failed Locate Features Along Routes

03-27-2015 09:31 AM
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am having a very frustrating issue with locating features along routes with a large polyline feature class. There is one particular polyline feature that fails the process every time and I can't figure out why. The line looks perfectly fine! There are no arcs and I even disabled z-values. I get two 999999 errors - one that simply says nothing and another that says can't find table (which is a known bug). I'm operating ArcMap 10.2.2

Please help.

Thanks,

Ana

0 Kudos
8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Is the line a multipart feature?

Have a look at this thread: https://community.esri.com/message/459719#460119

0 Kudos
anayoung
New Contributor III

No, it's not a multipart feature. I've attached the offending line within a zip in shapefile format. Can you take a look at it?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

That's odd, if I create a route from the shapefile (in a fgdb), create some random points along the route and locate them, it creates the event table. It also lets me create a route event layer from the table:

result.png

I guess I will need some more information to find out what is going wrong. BTW I used ArcMap 10.2.2.

You said you disabled the Z values, but the polyline is ZM (Z=0 and M=NaN for all the points). What type of features do you have that you want to locate along the route?

0 Kudos
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hi Xander, Thanks for checking things out. We've got a polyline database of about 600,000 road features (LA DOTD) that we are trying to create a route feature class for so we have beginning and end log miles along the lines. The goal will be a Roads and Highways product. However, we can't get passed this step of creating the table. I encountered this particular line after creating tables in batches of a few thousand lines in one parish (county). After digging a bit on the internet to identify what could be the problem, we found that arcs could be an issue but as far as we can tell there are no arcs; also, that Z values could be an issue - so, that's why we disabled them. I'm very new to this process but I have a suspicion it has something to do with how we are creating the route feature class. My co-workers are at a loss too. What are your thoughts? Thank you, Xander. Your help is very much appreciated. Ana

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Before you invest a lot of time in creating your own street network, it might be worth evaluating products that are already available, like: StreetMap Premium Overview | ArcGIS Resource Center

0 Kudos
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hi Xander,

Well, my co-worker figured out that if we use shapefiles for both the line features and the route feature class the table is created - no failure. Why this would be, I have no idea. Do you? 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

To determine that, we should compare the geometries of both formats and revise how one was converted to the other.

For now I think most import is that you can continue with you network analysis.

0 Kudos
anayoung
New Contributor III

Yes, I agree. It works...we'll see how it goes. ESRI has instructions for locating features along routes for both geodatabase files and shapefiles. Obviously, the shapefile procedure worked for us.

Thanks, Xander.

0 Kudos