Errors Using Intersect Tool

10-21-2014 08:54 AM
JenniferRoath
New Contributor II

I keep getting error 000117 (empty output generated) when I try intersecting a shapefile with my boundary. I have deleted and recalculated the extents. As well as deleted the spatial index. Neither helped.

I also tried clip (same error), and split (error 999999).

The other shapefile that I needed to split based on the same boundaries worked just fine using the intersect tool. I cannot find any differences in the properties between the two.

Any suggestions on what I can try to split my shapefile?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sounds like the coordinates are different, or one is mis-defined or undefined so check them through the conventional mean or add each file to a new data frame and inspect the coordinates visually...they should overlap...do not do this process by adding more than one file to one data frame

0 Kudos
JenniferRoath
New Contributor II

Yes. I checked all the coordinate systems. Closing/reopening GIS. Only adding the correct shapefiles. Changed the order I added each shapefile to the tool. As far as I can tell there is no difference between the properties.

The only thing that works is if I select only 1 element in the boundary shapefile. Then I can get the intersection with just the selected boundary. So I know it will perform the task, just not for all boundaries at once. (I tried "select all" and that did not work)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hmmm, so you are using the Intersect Tool and you have two polygon files, one is the shapefile to intersect using the boundary file and you have an Advanced license of Arcma?

0 Kudos
JenniferRoath
New Contributor II

Correct.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Without an image of your inputs, it is hard to assess which case of intersect you might have as shown by the examples in the help file particularly when you say that selecting one feature works but when you have more than on in the input layer it doesn't, so perhaps examine the output type you are using or provide a picture to describe your inputs

JenniferRoath
New Contributor II

To was polygon to polygon for the intersect. I wonder if there was some lock on the data?

I eventually wrote a model that iterated select each boundary to perform intersect and generated over 300 individual shapefiles clipped along the boundaries. Then merged all of them altogether after it ran. (Longer method, but it worked)

Thank you so much for the help!

0 Kudos