ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid.

05-13-2016 01:42 PM
SergioFernandez1
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to run a geoprocessing tool that I published and just get these errors:

ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid.

Error executing tool.

The process runs fine in ArcMap with a couple of layers loaded.  These layers' mxd is also published.

I wonder if the published geoprocessing tool doesn't find the required layers in the published service because I didn't reference them in any place.

Where I can set this reference?

Or can you give me any guidance regarding this error?
Thanks!

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes the most unanswered error on GeoNet as you have probably noted, with one vague reference to paths to the tool or its requirements not being found.  You are in good hands since most of the errors arose from similar people trying to publish something that worked in ArcMap  Good luck Published GeoProcessing Task not working on ArcGIS Server. Is this a Python script issue?

SergioFernandez1
New Contributor II

I still have this same problem.  The paths are well referenced and accesible and haven't find any other reason for this error.  Any other thing to check? Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tech support is probably going to want to have a look...I presume you have filed a request.  they will need your data and processing steps if applicable, to test

0 Kudos
SergioFernandez1
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan.

I'm working in a test environment and I do not have access to request a support case.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Esri Accounts  the support link...

SergioFernandez1
New Contributor II

Yes. There's where I get the "You do not have access to request a support case" message

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So how do you manage or get access to your software?  Do you belong to an organization where someone else is the person responsible for contacting esri support?  Are you with an educational institution where this would definitely be the case?  If you don't manage your own software (ie, you bought it), then someone else manages the account... they are the person you needto contact

0 Kudos
SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

The issue should be: The geoprocessing tool/ service is not compatible with the ArcGIS version you are using. It is because the service is not supported in that particular ArcGIS desktop. Try upgrading your ArcGIS version, it should work. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos
HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

I have the exact same issue after "exporting as a python snippet" the results of a metadata conversion tool. The GUI tool works well and outputs a valid result (metadata XML file), but the python snippet only comes out with the error code 00816.

In other words, the same on-the-shelf tool works when called from the GUI, and not from Python (using the same arguments). This is not a case of upgrading versions. Or downgrading - I observe the issue in ArcGIS 10.5.1, but the process was working in previous versions (10.0, 10.4 proved OK here and used regularly).

There seems to be a disconnexion between the GUI and arcpy - can this be? Has anyone observed the same?