Dividing single point value by the number of surrounding points?

Jump to solution
12-15-2014 09:10 AM
ShannonGrumbly1
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a population point shapefile and I am trying to divide the population value of the point by the number of points surrounding it (in a different point shapefile). For example, if a population point has a value of 10, and there are 20 points surrounding the population point, then each of those would have a new value of 0.5. Does anybody know a tool or group of tools that will accomplish this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you have access to an Advanced license you can use the Near tool. ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

You would use the surrounding points as input features and the population points as near features.

This will add information to you surrounding points about the population point that is nearest (field NEAR_FID). Next you could summarize on that field to get the number of surrounding points located near a population point. Join this number and the population to the surrounding points and divide the population by the number of points.

If you don't have access to an advanced license, you could use a spatial join. ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
XanderBakker

How is the relation of the input points and the surrounding points defined? Are the input points already aware of the points the are surrounding the input point? If not, is this relation based on distance? Can a surrounding point be shared between input points?

0 Kudos
ShannonGrumbly1
New Contributor

The surrounding points came from a raster that was converted to points. Where there are holes in the raster indicates where houses are and the population points are placed in the middle of those empty polygons. I erased the original raster from a polygon of the study area to get the house polygons. I then did a buffer of 1 meter (so essentially all points within 1 meter of the homes) and an intersect to extract the points from the raster. The extracted points are unaware that the population points exist, however, and vice versa.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If you have access to an Advanced license you can use the Near tool. ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

You would use the surrounding points as input features and the population points as near features.

This will add information to you surrounding points about the population point that is nearest (field NEAR_FID). Next you could summarize on that field to get the number of surrounding points located near a population point. Join this number and the population to the surrounding points and divide the population by the number of points.

If you don't have access to an advanced license, you could use a spatial join. ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

ShannonGrumbly1
New Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos