Dissolve polygons into a giant polygon

10-14-2013 09:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ahnaruby

I am looking for a way to "dissolve" or combine multiple polygons into 1 large polygon, noting that these polygons do not necessarily share an edge. 
For example, I'm looking for a tool where my input would look something like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]28306[/ATTACH] and my output polygon would look something like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]28307[/ATTACH]

Any thoughts on how this could be achieved?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dmhoneycutt

Maybe the Aggregate Polygons tool?
0 Kudos
AhnaMiller
New Contributor
Maybe the Aggregate Polygons tool?

Thank you for your response! This would be exactly what I need, except I dont have an advanced license unfortunately. You don't happen to know if there are any work arounds available with a standard license, do you?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rborchert

How many polygons are you talking about? 

If it isn't something like 2000 simply dissolve your polygons into their individual large polygons.

Then in an edit session and snapping set to the polygon vertices simply draw the filler into it.  Then selecting the dissolved polygon and the newly drawn one use the merge command to merge them together creating a seamless polygon.  Make sure to select the dissolved polygon as the base one so it transfers the attributes to the new polygon.

This method should be a lot easier than trying to reshape the dissolved polygons into one.
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Add an attribute column and populate it with the same value (unless you already have a suitable field). Then run Data Management Tools >> Generalization >> Dissolve, and point it to the field with the same values for the Dissolve Field.
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jborgion

If its just a few, how about selecting them and then merging them into one in an edit session?
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
Add an attribute column and populate it with the same value (unless you already have a suitable field). Then run Data Management Tools >> Generalization >> Dissolve, and point it to the field with the same values for the Dissolve Field.
Best Regards,
Jim

Not.
He doesn't want merged single poglygon with mutiparts.
Buffer first -- then clip the buffered features by using the source features --select cliped features that share two lines with source features--export these features --merge these feature into source features -- dissolve all features into one mutipart polygon -- convert to single polygon with single part.
0 Kudos