Determining different widths of a polygon

Jump to solution
07-24-2015 07:23 AM
CraigPrisland1
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I recently was posed this question and have been having some difficulty finding an answer.  I have a polygon feature class that has certain width to it (either 10 feet, 20 feet, or 30 feet wide).  It is an extremely long polygon and was wondering if there is a process which I could run to determine which percentage of the polygon was 10 feet, what percentage is 20 feet, and what percentage is 30 feet.  I was looking into if I could split the polygon into several smaller polygons each time the width of the polygon changed (i.e. intersect) but couldn't find any feasable method.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

This can be broken down into a few separate steps, all possible within ArcGIS. Also, while you can probably manage to make this work without any third party tools, I have access to ET GeoWizards, which greatly simplifies the process, so I'll describe it in those terms.

1.) Create centreline.

2.) Create perpendicular station lines.

3.) Intersect station lines with polygon.

4.) Inspect widths.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

This can be broken down into a few separate steps, all possible within ArcGIS. Also, while you can probably manage to make this work without any third party tools, I have access to ET GeoWizards, which greatly simplifies the process, so I'll describe it in those terms.

1.) Create centreline.

2.) Create perpendicular station lines.

3.) Intersect station lines with polygon.

4.) Inspect widths.

CraigPrisland1
New Contributor II

Thanks Darren.  This was exactly what I was looking for.

0 Kudos