Creating a polygon grid from raster cell resolution...?

Jump to solution
12-24-2012 01:05 AM
CliveCartwright
Occasional Contributor
Is it possible to create a polygon grid based on the size of the cells within a raster layer?

All the cells are the same value and, when you use raster to polygon tool, you end up with a polygon of the raster extent, not the individual cells?

Am I goin agout this the wrong way...???

Basicaly, I want to grate a polygon grid with the following:
Cols and Rows: 21920,28160
Extent: Top=1223000, Left=-239000, Right=857000 and Botton=-185000

🙂
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Sure, you can do this with Create Fishnet... but may I ask why?  This will probably take a while to run but it is doable, just don't understand to what end, what use this will be.  Rather, don't you want the cells to be associated with values in some way?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Sure, you can do this with Create Fishnet... but may I ask why?  This will probably take a while to run but it is doable, just don't understand to what end, what use this will be.  Rather, don't you want the cells to be associated with values in some way?
0 Kudos
CliveCartwright
Occasional Contributor

I need to make a grid that conforms to an existing project area. The source file I have for that are is a raster. However, the raster was too coarse (1km square cells) and I needed to make it a finer grid (50m2) so as to allow the best resoultion output possible with my data.

Up to now, i've been converting polygons to raster using the origin and extent from the original raster... but doing this didn't allow me to populate 50m cells with data that just clipped the cell, unless you do polylines as well as polygons. The raster to polygon tool also left behing odd dropouts (null point patches)... long story. To cut it short, I'm now tryng to recteate a 50m grid as polygons and I'm going to try and use the intersect tool... then covert to raster via the feature to raster (which seems more reliable)

Who knows... I might get there in the end. 🙂

Gust doing the fish net as I type and you're right... it does take some time. But it appears to have worked.
0 Kudos
RobertSwett
New Contributor II

Hello. I was looking for similar information on creating polygons from raster cells and I noted your question as to why someone would want to do this. My reason is that I want to serve (ArcGIS online) a raster of depths and then permit people to query cells. The only way I have seen to do this is to load the polygon version of depth cells and link it to the raster via the pop-up menu. Thanks. Bob Swett
0 Kudos