Counting the number of weighted points in superimposed circles

Jump to solution
12-18-2015 08:31 AM
G_L_E_M_
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a layout with many points. Each point can have a weight value ranged between 1 and 50. On another layout, I have superimposed circles. I would like to calculate the summation of the weighted points in every circle. Because circles are superimposed, points can be count more than one time. Can you please help me to do this task? I’m pretty sure it’s not very complicated, but I’m new to ArcGIS. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The easiest way to do this is through a spatial join, although not using the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool (although you can get to it through the tool, followed by Summary Statistics).

Instead, right-click the circle layer -> Joins and Relates -> Join... -> Join data from another layer based on spatial location -> choose points to join to -> choose sum -> add output feature class name -> OK. Your new circle layer will include the sum of all of the intersecting attributes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The easiest way to do this is through a spatial join, although not using the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool (although you can get to it through the tool, followed by Summary Statistics).

Instead, right-click the circle layer -> Joins and Relates -> Join... -> Join data from another layer based on spatial location -> choose points to join to -> choose sum -> add output feature class name -> OK. Your new circle layer will include the sum of all of the intersecting attributes.