Connecting points to form a line.

Jump to solution
01-19-2016 10:59 AM
RobertParty
New Contributor III

I know this seems like a simple question, I get how to use the points to line tool for most things but I cant get it to work for this. I am trying to map out a lot of wells. Each well spot has a lat/long and elevation for its starting position on the surface as well as for its end point underground. It gets tricky because the file has about 2,000 wells, so it would be hard to separate them out into one file for each well. Does anyone know of a way to get it to connect the points from each well and show it going down into the subsurface. I am using ArcScene.

Thanks for any help

-Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CameronWallace1
New Contributor

If your points are 3D and you have well IDS against all the points that are part of the well, you should be able to do it using the points to line tool...? Then have the depth as your sort field and the well ID as your line field.

At least theoretically this should work... I usually don't do this, I just extrude the points between their top and bottom depths for visualizaion. But this may not work depending on your goal.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LukeSturtevant
Occasional Contributor III

Did you already look into the Xacto tool? It is for borehole data, but you should be able to adapt it to your needs.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You may be interested in this thread: Re: Convert 3D points to 3D lines (underground well data)

Although the Xacto tool has a lot more to offer (direct link to the tool: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=54584a5e302e4014a495b8fc37fe0663 )

RobertParty
New Contributor III

I will be back in my office tomorrow and try these. Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
RobertParty
New Contributor III

I could not get the Xacto tool to work correctly but I did figure out a way to make the wells. I downloaded Fox_tools split by attribute tool. I ran the tool to sort the points into different files based on their API number. Then i used the model builder with an iterator to run through the folder with all of the wells and do the points to line tool on them.

CameronWallace1
New Contributor

If your points are 3D and you have well IDS against all the points that are part of the well, you should be able to do it using the points to line tool...? Then have the depth as your sort field and the well ID as your line field.

At least theoretically this should work... I usually don't do this, I just extrude the points between their top and bottom depths for visualizaion. But this may not work depending on your goal.

RobertParty
New Contributor III

WOW. That would have done it. just tried it and it worked. I guess it works out okay though because doing it the other way I will be able to edit the individual wells easier. Thanks for the help though!

0 Kudos