Clipping inside vs outside.

Jump to solution
10-17-2013 08:23 AM
ScottBarron
New Contributor III
Hi,
I have a large raster image, and a much smaller raster image located inside the larger one. I want to clip a hole in the larger one where the smaller image is. How do I do this? I came across the clip function: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009t00000048000000, which appears to be exactly what I want, but I can't seem to find the tool, even when I search for it... Any advice?

Thanks,
-Scott
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RodneyVese1
New Contributor
Sorry about that I thought you just wanted the clip tool , The clip function can be found under Data managment tools>Raster>Raster Processing>Clip

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RodneyVese1
New Contributor
You can access clip through the toolbox.  Not sure why it won't show up in search results but you can access this tool under Toolbox>Analysis Tools>Extract>Clip

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28407[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
ScottBarron
New Contributor III
Hi,
It's not the clip tool I'm looking for (that only works with shapefiles I believe), but instead clip function, which allows me to clip inside or outside of my clipping area.

If you look at the picture on the link I posted above, that's what I'm trying to do.
0 Kudos
RodneyVese1
New Contributor
Sorry about that I thought you just wanted the clip tool , The clip function can be found under Data managment tools>Raster>Raster Processing>Clip
0 Kudos
ScottBarron
New Contributor III
Unfortunately still not what I'm looking for (Clip and Clip Function appear to be different). I don't want the standard "clip a larger object down to a smaller size", I want to clip a hole in a larger object, so that the extent of the larger object remains the same, but the values where the smaller object overlap are gone.
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Just curious, essentially what you have described is Erase, correct?  But such a function does not exist for rasters, is that not also correct?  But one way may be that if you had a 'universe' polygon as the extent of the larger raster and erased an inner extent of the smaller raster, could you not use the result in a Clip Raster operation?

Enjoy,
Wayne
0 Kudos
ScottBarron
New Contributor III
Erase does what I'd like, but not with rasters. I guess that workaround might be my best solution for right now. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
ScottBarron
New Contributor III
Now we're talking! Thanks Steve, this looks great. Any advice on using the toolbox? I downloaded it, and change the python scripts per the txt file, but whenever I try to open a tool it says "Invalid Tool. Unable to execute the selected tool."
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Yes, those tools are cool...however, you may need the Spatial Analyst and a higher ArcGIS Desktop license to run any or all of the associated tools.  For your requirements, Clip in Data Management (supported at all license levels) essentially does the 'Erase' function if you use the ClipGeometry option (the check box) and provide a geometry with a 'hole' in it - presumably that would be your 'smaller extent' you wish to remove.

Just have to be careful with the 'promoting pixel depth'...your output raster format has to be able to support that operation if that has effect...I used tif input along with the requisite polygon w/ a hole in it to mimic your requirement, and reset the raster properties on the added output in the map to not 'stretch' (to match symbology settings as in the original tif).

Someone may have already committed some tool 'magic' on the input ClipGeometry in the tool Gallery somewhere - sorry, I don't have time for it, and it's a simple thing really anyway to create it yourself.  The main thing here is that the Clip tool supports 'erase' functionality...the tool(s) Steve posted far exceeds this functionality.

Enjoy,
Wayne

EDIT:  So, actually Rodney had the 'answer' at post #4.  (if you want to award him)
0 Kudos