Can't export training data for deep learning as PNG chips

06-26-2019 08:02 AM
PhilippZacharias
New Contributor II

I want to use the ArcGIS Pro tool "Export training data for deep learning" on my raster, which has these properties:

I can't choose "png" as image format for the chips. it says error 001523 in the popup.

001523: JPEG compression is only supported for 8-bit unsigned or 16-bit unsigned data with one or th... 

I already tried converting it to a 16bit unsigned integer tiff WITHOUT compression. But it's the same error:

How do I prepare my raster, to be able to export chips as png? Why can't the tool do this for me automatically?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you tried input raster data to be 3 bands instead of using 4 bands?

IsaacBarnhart
New Contributor II

Hi Philipp,

I had the same issue when trying to get an object-detection deep learning algorithm to run. I had a 16-bit unsigned orthomosaic with 5 bands. Following Makiko's advice on this thread, I extracted the first three bands (RGB bands), and then compiled them back into an orthomosaic using the "Composite" tool under "Raster Tools." After this, I exported the raster to my working directory as a TIFF file.

I then created my training samples, and exported them as PNG files. I was able to do this with no problem.

As I am using object detection, I exported them with the Meta Data Format being "PASCAL Visual Object Classes," and it worked just fine.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
GLASCAMP
New Contributor II

Why not exporting tiles as .tif format? This would allow  to keep the 4 bands, and to train a Deep learning model on it.

0 Kudos