Can publish GP Service, but cannot run it - 000816 'Tool is not valid'

11-01-2013 02:55 PM
TamiOnstad
New Contributor III
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28808[/ATTACH]

I am unable to get any published GP Service to run if it was created with a model or script that I created from scratch.

I AM able to publish the Clip and Ship models/scripts provided with the 10.2 Tutorial data, and these run successfully as GP Services.

I have pared down to the most basic model I can devise, which basically runs GetCount_management on one of my SDE feature classes (the database is registered with ArcGIS Server 10.2).  I can run this either with the SDE fc as a parameter of the model, or with no parameters and the fc basically hard-coded.  I have also tried making a feature layer out of the fc and getting the count on that.  Either way it bombs with the 000816 error 'Tool is not valid'. 

I'm thinking I must be missing some basic first step in creating these models, something I am required to do if I want to use them as GP tools?  I can't see anything obvious as far as the way the Clip and Ship models/scripts are set up vs my own models.  Is there some registry step I need to take, some licensing I need to validate?  I'm using ArcInfo on both local machine and server machine. 

Any thoughts?  Image of model is above, you can see how simple it is.  What am I missing?

Tami
0 Kudos
14 Replies
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II
I am facing same issue in ArcGIS server 10.2. When the model is run from extracted .rlt file it works fine.
When I test from REST it throws an error mesage tool is not valid. ArcGIS server log also displays same message.

Any clue on this?
0 Kudos
OrZarchi
New Contributor
I've got the exact same problem. All offered tests pass for me as well.
Is there any way to troubleshoot this issue?
0 Kudos
OrZarchi
New Contributor
I managed to solve my problem.
I recently split my python toolbox into multiple files for better maintainability.
Apparently the publishing process does not support python's "from X import Y" syntax, meaning most of my source files were not published..
See this discussion:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/43204/guidelines-for-organizing-python-toolboxes-pyt-in-arcgi...
0 Kudos
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III

Has there been any resolution to this problem?  I am running into a similar (exact?) situation while trying to migrate some geoprocessing services based on custom DLL's from 10.05 to 10.2.2.  I'm getting the invalid tool message for everything I publish.  I even took the sample 'Calculate Area' VB code and compiled it as per the instructions (any CPU, registered it with 32bit and 64bit esriregasm.exe, etc.) and it works fine in ArcCatalog 10.2.2 and publishes fine to ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 but when the task is run, the 816 error is always returned.  No other messages of any value are to be found anywhere.  I was able to open the .rtl file (mentioned in previous post) and rerun it successfully.

Is there a problem with trying to use custom DLL's on AGS 10.2.x 64bit?  Any thoughts on where to look would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
springzhang
New Contributor II

Hi, Peter

have you fixed the problem?  I am stuck with the same problem. so frustrated....

0 Kudos