calculating the sum of values of points within a polygon

08-03-2011 01:07 AM
TilottamaGhosh
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have a mesh of 1 sq.km polygon data (created using the fishnet tool in ArcGIS) and I have four points within each of those square grids. I want to calculate the sum of the values of a particular field associated with those points. So, I am looking for one value within a 1sq.km polygon that is derived by adding the values of a particular field of those four points. Is there any tool in ArcGIS or any script that can help me to achieve this? Any kind of advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Tilottama
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichelleTerry
New Contributor II
You will want to perform a Spatial Join between your points and your polygons. Open the Spatial Join tool in Analysis > Overlay. Your target features are the polygon features. Your Join features are the points. In the "Field Map" display, right-click on the field you want to sum and select "Merge Rule," then select "Sum." The output of the spatial join will include the information you need in a field of the same name in each polygon's row.
TilottamaGhosh
New Contributor III
Thanks a lot Michelle! I saw your reply rather late, and had figured it out after some trial and error. Nevertheless, thanks very much!