Calculate Geometry Not Working - v.2.7

02-10-2021 07:30 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

I am realizing as I am submitting this question, that other people have the same concerns with Calculate Geometry not working in Pro version 2.7. See below for the error that I am receiving. I have never had issues before using this geoprocessing tool, and it's not like it's a complicated process. Can anybody help me figure out what my error is trying to say?

I still believe after seeing multiple concerns about version 2.7 with this tool, that there may be a bug.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/calculate-geometry-in-2-7-not-working/m-p/1021778...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/calculate-geometry-broken-in-version-2-7/m-p/1012...

Error1.JPGError2.JPG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

bug list sorted most recent to oldest on "calculate geometry" and "bugs

Esri Support Search-Results

anything apply?  

For your first link, it was an environment issues (python conflicts), 

Your second list doesn't have resolution, but no one seems to have reported anything.

Maybe it is on an internal bug list, and hasn't been verified.

Most likely, bugs don't get reported in a timely fashion, so they don't get addressed.

Good luck

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Thank you for sending that link to me, Dan, I did not know that existed. However none of the BUGS listed are what I am specifically experiencing. I will put in a ticket if I need to, I was just hoping for a quick solution because it's a project I can't move forward with until that is resolved.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Esri Support | ArcGIS Technical Support

is the main link to tech support.

enclosing key phrases in double quotes helps narrow things down.

It isn't the best search, but adequate for most purposes.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Thank you. Here's an update:

I created a new test field for acres and ran the tool exactly the same, and it successfully ran, which is great. However now, you can see below in my screenshot that the amount that was calculated vs. the popup with the field is a totally different amount. Same data, same field, different numbers. The acres that were also calculated are incorrect - it is really 20.13 acres. So lots of issues definitely going on here. I believe I saw someone else having an issue with incorrect calculations, so I'll see if I can find that again.

AcresTest.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It seems to be missing the something for sure. a feet vs meters thing?

In any event, I always make sure that my tables don't display the alias but rather the actual field name.  That issue has come up a few times as well.

Try the Add Geometry Attributes tool for a comparison as well

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Thank you. This test failed as well.

AddGeo.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found the lines in the code

# --- from addgeometry attributes
        self.shapeDict = {"POINT": 1,
                          "MULTIPOINT": 1.5,
                          "POLYLINE": 2,
                          "POLYGON": 3,
                          "MULTIPATCH": 4, }

self.shapeDim = self.shapeDict[str(desc.shapeType).upper()]

.  Do you have multipart polygons?   

Z or M enabled?

It is failing on the shapeType not being in the dictionary...

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

No, it's actually a feature class with only one polygon. It was originally a part of a larger dataset (woodlands), which I clipped to a specific lot to show the woodlands on a specific property. So now it is only one feature in the feature class.

Not sure where to check if Z or M are enabled.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

open the attribute table and look at the Shape field ,, is there a Z or M at the end

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos