Calculate Geometry in batch

Jump to solution
04-25-2017 12:09 PM
MalcolmLittle
New Contributor III

Hello,

In order to get my feature data ready for Tableau integration, I had to run 'Feature Vertices to Points' for 28 polygon classes. Then I ran 'Add XY coordinates' for the 28 to get coordinates (which Tableau requires). Problem is, Add XY gave me projected meter values, yet Tableau requires decimal degrees Lat/Long. Instead of recalculating the geometry by going into each of the 28 attribute tables, is there a way to batch recalculate into decimal degrees?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just tried the Add Geometry Attributes tool on an existing set of points that already had X/Y coords in StatePlane Feet.  I selected only the Point_X_Y_Z_M property and gave it the GCS_WGS_1984 coordinate system, and it added two columns in DD.  See below:

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SolomonPulapkura
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure if the below helps.

Calculating geometry using pyscripting: failed to read polygon input feature 

I think by the time you develop a script you will probably be able to go in to each feature class and do it yourself. If there were hundred or more then that is different.

Solomon Pulapkura

https://www.vestra.com/gis 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just tried the Add Geometry Attributes tool on an existing set of points that already had X/Y coords in StatePlane Feet.  I selected only the Point_X_Y_Z_M property and gave it the GCS_WGS_1984 coordinate system, and it added two columns in DD.  See below:

That should just about do it....
MalcolmLittle
New Contributor III

Yes, that did it! Tested it on 2 then batched the remaining 26. It even overwrote the original PointX & PointY fields made by Add XY Coordinates. Thanks, mate.

0 Kudos