Calculate Field Issue

Jump to solution
04-10-2014 08:36 AM
MeredithGreen
New Contributor III
I have a field that I need to calculate so that it says RES2 in it.  The field is set to text with a length of 50 (I tried length as 254 as well) and when I try to calculate the field for RES2 it gives me an error:

"The calculated value is invalid for the row with ObjectID = 300. For example, the calculated value may be too large for the field or you may be trying to add a string to a number field.  This row will not be updated."

It works if I just put a random number in the calculate field but that is obviously not what the field is set to hold.

Has anyone had this problem before and know what the issue is?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MeredithGreen
New Contributor III
Nevermind.  I thought of something I hadn't tried yet at the last minute that worked.  When calculating a field that is meant to hold text, you need to put the words in parentheses in the calculate field tool for it to process.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MeredithGreen
New Contributor III
Nevermind.  I thought of something I hadn't tried yet at the last minute that worked.  When calculating a field that is meant to hold text, you need to put the words in parentheses in the calculate field tool for it to process.
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
a.k.a a string literal
0 Kudos