Buffering From The Edges Of A Polygon

Jump to solution
12-13-2013 07:13 AM
DavidMeek1
New Contributor III
I'm trying to create a buffer zone from a set of irregular polygons, and the distance needs to be measured outward from the edges of the polygons, NOT the centroid.  Can this be done?

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMeek1
New Contributor III
Thanks to all for your replies!

You were correct that the problem lay in the coordinate systems used in the various layers.  Everything is taken care of.

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Isn't that what the buffer tool does anyway?

If you just need the outside buffer, select "OUTSIDE_ONLY" for Side Type
0 Kudos
DavidMeek1
New Contributor III
Well, I thought so too, but not in this instance.  I'm using NAD27, State Plane 4204, US Feet and attempting to put an 8,000' buffer around county abstracts.  When I measure the distance from the edge of the polygon to the edge of the buffer, I'm getting about 6,880'.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
can  you post part of the shape file?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You need to determine for sure that your referencing feet and not another unit in your data frame.

Try it with the buffer analysis tool instead.  there you can specify which units to use.

Well, I thought so too, but not in this instance.  I'm using NAD27, State Plane 4204, US Feet and attempting to put an 8,000' buffer around county abstracts.  When I measure the distance from the edge of the polygon to the edge of the buffer, I'm getting about 6,880'.
0 Kudos
DavidMeek1
New Contributor III
No luck so far.

The data frame coordinate system is:   NAD 1927 StatePlane Texas Central FIPS 4203
Linear Unit in that system is:  Foot_US

I'm selecting a buffer linear unit of:  8,000 Feet

I'm still getting a buffer zone about 6,880 feet deep from the outside of the object to the outside of the buffer zone.  That's using both the internal MXD toolbox and also using:
Arc Catalog
   System Toolboxes
      Analysis Tools
         Proximity
            Buffer
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Most likely, the data frame coordinate system and the coordinate system of the features are different.

But all this can be avoided if you've got 10.1 -- you can instruct the buffer tool to do geodesic buffering by setting the Output Coordinate System environment to use a geographic coordinate system rather than a projected coordinate system.  Have a good look at the tool documentation. Here's the 10.1 doc for Buffer.

If you don't have 10.1, then double check that the coordinate systems of the data frame (used by the measure tool) and the coordinate system of the feature class (used by the buffer tool) are exactly the same.
0 Kudos
DavidMeek1
New Contributor III
Thanks to all for your replies!

You were correct that the problem lay in the coordinate systems used in the various layers.  Everything is taken care of.

David
0 Kudos