Best way to reproject data that has stand-alone table relationships

Jump to solution
03-12-2021 12:06 PM
DavidBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

What is the best way in a production environment to reproject feature datasets and feature classes and retain their relationships to stand-alone tables, and not have to republish web services, update mxds and pro projects?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBuehler

Hi Tim,

I did work this out with ESRI tech support.  Projection tool is the way to go.  I did find a bug with using the project tool with feature dataset not carrying over the attachments.  However, manual recreation of relationships is the way to go.  I simply reprojected all my data, and am setting this back up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tim_McGinnes

So if your source data is in Projection A and you are publishing in Projection B:

• Feature datasets and classes should be stored in Projection B
  • Map frames in MXD/APRX should be using Projection B
  • Web services should be published in Projection B
  • Web maps and apps should be using Projection B

Then, when you update your source data in Projection A, you should reproject to Projection B and overwrite the stored Projection B data. All the MXDs and web services just keep working as normal.

However, if you are talking about doing this for the first time (ie: moving all your data from Projection A to Projection B) then you will definitely have to update MXDs and republish web services, no way around that really.

0 Kudos
DavidBuehler

Thanks Tim,

I am fine reprojecting from A to B, the only issue I have is related tables do not come with.  It blows those relationships away.  Is there a away of keeping those relationships during a reproject?  I know it keeps attachments, but attachments are a different kind of relationship.

0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

After you project, why not write the projected data back over the original data source? Maybe delete the existing records, use Define Projection to the new projection then Append the new features.

This should work for relationship classes in gdbs and relationships defined in MXD\APRX files. This may not work if ObjectID or GlobalID is being used as the relationship key however.

DavidBuehler

I will give try Tim.

0 Kudos
DavidBuehler

Hi Tim,

I did work this out with ESRI tech support.  Projection tool is the way to go.  I did find a bug with using the project tool with feature dataset not carrying over the attachments.  However, manual recreation of relationships is the way to go.  I simply reprojected all my data, and am setting this back up.

0 Kudos