Automatically name output files in batch processing

10-13-2021 06:23 AM
JHR
by
New Contributor II

I am trying to batch process 1700 files. I have used the fill function all but the output feature class. is there any way I can add dynamic text so it automatically names the output files so I don't have to enter a filename 1700 times? I tried using D:\TEST\Fishnets\Cluster_%name%.shp in the output feature class field but I got a error 000210

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You need to show your model and explain where the error occurs and describe your inputs. As it stands your question is extremely vague and unlikely to attract answers.

0 Kudos
JHR
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response, I am using the batch tool in ArcMap 10.8 to run a cluster and outlier analysis.  My inputs are 1700 point shapefiles, but it requires me to enter a output feature class name for each one. if I use the fill tool thee are all named the same. I want each of the 1700 output shapefiles to be named differently

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Solution is not to use the batch tool! In my opinion it's a clunky interface that existed prior to model builder iterators but has persisted for a variety of reasons. As you see you are hitting the limitations of this interface. A very simple model using a FeatureClass iterator with inline variable substitution to help you create your unique names is the way to go. Getting your head around iterators will unlock all sorts of potential for mass automation.

Don't know model builder? Try reading the walk throughs in the help file or get yourself on a training course.

Setting up the model will take less than 2 minutes, running, well that's down to machine/network performance.

I hope you have learnt that next time write your questions with more detail and as you see you get quick answers!

0 Kudos
JHR
by
New Contributor II

Thanks, Looks like I have a day to figure out model builder