Assign unique ID to each feature of GIS Electrical Geometric Network

11-23-2017 09:12 PM
vikaswardiya
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have an Raw electrical networks layers.. such as substations, hightension cable, lowtension cable, meters, fuse and 28 others. I want to assign each feature a of each  layer a unique ID, and then later need to have each features from-Uid and To-Uid to based on asset connectivity..  

All I can think to solve this problem is by doing spatial analysis on each layer again and again, but this process is very complex and could take thousands of line of coding. 

Is there any alternate way to assign unique id to each features of electric network based on connectivity?

kindly help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What are you doing when you say 'doing spatial analysis again and again'.

The geometric networks documentation and its toolset cover quite a bit. 

Perhaps you could identify what processes/tools you are using to build and maintain your network.

0 Kudos
vikaswardiya
New Contributor II

Spatial join sir,

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spatial join, yes provides some information.  If you are thinking connectivity, to me, minimum spanning trees comes to mine.

perhaps an image/visual of your spatial data and why you have to go to repetitive spatial joins to accomplish this task.  it isn't clear to me why you cannot obtain what you need from a geometric network or any other form of network

Moving to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/analysis/geoprocessing?sr=search&searchId=feb566e4-54e7-42f...‌ to facilitate getting an answer.

GeoNet Help is about getting help about GeoNet... the Structure might help in the future

vikaswardiya
New Contributor II

Actually I have never used geometric network before, so I have no idea

about it. Will geometric network help me to achieve my objective?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The term and the area of application is why I directed you to the documentation.  The first page of the link I posted in my previous field makes some suggestions of applications in the electrical and hydro distribution fields.  You should examine the documentation and your workflow to make that initial assessment, they people can help with specific questions.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

We are close to the release of the ArcGIS Utility Network Management extension for Enterprise. This will introduce and new and powerful way of managing utility networks to the entire platform (including mobile and web). To learn more about what is coming please download the whitepaper here: Esri Utility Network Pro