Ascii to Raster Conversion Error "No spatial reference exists"

Jump to solution
06-07-2012 09:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tflowe

arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
FDO error: -2147024864
No spatial reference exists.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (ASCIIToRaster).

I have been running into the above error when attempting to convert thousands of asciis to grids in a FGDB.  I have three different outputs from a fire modeling program that are in ascii format. For each of these outputs I have 20,000 ascii files (so 60,000 total) and I need to convert them into grids in a FGDB.  I have it scripted in python and this error only shows up maybe one out of every 50,000 thousand times the tool is run.  The ascii it fails on will convert to a raster just fine when I restart the script, so the error shows up with no predictability and the input ascii has no problems.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but the error does not make sense since rasters do not require a spatial reference to exist in or out of a FGDB right???
The ArcGIS 10 help for ascii to raster does not list output coordinate system as an environmental variable that can be set even if I wanted to define the projection, which I do not need to do.  The help says to complete define projection after the conversion so why would the tool return an error of no spatial reference exists if it does not have to have one in the first place?

On a side note I created a multiprocessing script that dedicates one processor for each of the three outputs and converts them from ascii to their own FGDB to avoid any schema lock issues.  The above error appears much more often, anywhere between 100 to 15,000 times the ascii to raster tool is run.
This is extremely frustrating as it is killing my processing workflow when this dies when I am away from my computer.  I know I am preaching to the choir on that one but it???s good to let it out.

This error has appeared on two different machines running ArcGIS 10 SP3 and SP4. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Thomas

If the ASCII files have a .asc file extension then ArcGIS sees them as valid raster datasets. You can then rather use the CopyRaster tool and Define the projection after the copy.

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Thomas

If the ASCII files have a .asc file extension then ArcGIS sees them as valid raster datasets. You can then rather use the CopyRaster tool and Define the projection after the copy.

Steve
0 Kudos