ASCII to RASTER conversion bug

09-16-2010 11:09 AM
HeatherLintz
New Contributor
I produced numerous ASCII files that are identical in every way except for the numeric values in them. They are the same row count, the same column count, the same header, they have the same missing values in both value (-9999) and cell locations. However, when I try to convert them from ASCII to Raster using the ASCII-to-Raster function, all convert successfully except two. I have combed through the procedure with a nit comb. I don't give up easily on bugs. There is nothing different about the matrices or headers that should elicit their selective conversion. I tried to convert the files from Raster to ASCII through the GUI and the error was replicated. Error 010067. Usually this error means something is not specified correctly in the header. But the headers, delimiters, and size of the files are identical. YET some convert and the others don't.  I've tried changing their filenames. I removed the header, reimported each data set to matlab and plotted them. They are identical in every way except in the gradient. I made them vectors and searched for NaNs, made sure they are identical structurally, etc. There are no missing data values where there shouldn't be, or unidentified strings or anything. I tried to call ESRI to report it, and they said I am not allowed.
Any ideas or previous experience with this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeTischler
New Contributor II
Is there anything out of the ordinary with the naming convention in the output raster for those two files?  Longer than 13 characters, special characters, starting with a number, etc.?
0 Kudos
BenPhalan
New Contributor
@lintzh

This is from some time ago, but did you identify the problem? I have similar issues, getting error 010067, despite using identical headers that worked fine before, no unusual characters, short filenames, etc.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you attach one of these problematic ASCII files?
0 Kudos
BenPhalan
New Contributor
@stevelynch

Thanks for your quick response. I did some more checking and found a problem with one of the processing steps that produced the files. There were some missing values instead of NoData values, so the total number of values in the file was different to that specified in the header (because there are millions of cells, it was not straightforward to check the number of values previously, e.g. with a word count). I've corrected this and ASCII to Raster now works fine.
0 Kudos