ArcPRO - Split by attributes in model builder then use output files in other model process

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 08:51 AM
PeterDouglass
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the Arc model builder. I'm currently creating a model to create a constraints layer for solar PV, which means combining lots of different layers together. For hard constraints, such as buildings and AONB, this is easily done (see attached). However, for layers where some of the attributes are hard constraints (e.g. agricultural land classifications (ALC)), the layer needs to be split by attributes, since I only want to use specific ALC values (urban, exclusion, , zone 1, and non-agricultural - the other values go into a separate suitability model. 

My issue is how to use the split by attributes tool in model builder, and then use the output of that process in the clipping process. I have read about the precondition setting, but can't seem to set them.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be fab.

Cheers,

Pete

PeterDouglass_0-1615909680419.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've fallen into this trap with this tool, it's output is a WORKSPACE not a list of FeatureClasses. It's not at all clear what you want to subsequently do with your separated out data, but remember all geoprocessing tools honour selections. If for example your separated out data was to be used to create buffers that then feed into some other workflow, it might be just as easy to select your data by attribute and the selection will get buffered. No need to create intermediate subsets of your data.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've fallen into this trap with this tool, it's output is a WORKSPACE not a list of FeatureClasses. It's not at all clear what you want to subsequently do with your separated out data, but remember all geoprocessing tools honour selections. If for example your separated out data was to be used to create buffers that then feed into some other workflow, it might be just as easy to select your data by attribute and the selection will get buffered. No need to create intermediate subsets of your data.

PeterDouglass
New Contributor II

Thank you both! 

0 Kudos