ArcGIS10:ModelBuilder to create Feature Classes-Make XY Event Layer.No accdb allowed?

02-28-2012 10:16 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi ESRI experts,
I lanched a project "ModelBuilder-1" in my ArcMap 10, and a Model of ModelBuilder from ArcCatalog 10. In the blank screen of the Model window, I added (Make XY Event Layer)->(Layer Name or Table View).  I got "Make XY Event Layer" dialog box from the Search window. The "Make XY Event Layer" dialog box has the following:
XY Table:         (Browser)
X Field:
Y Field:
Z Field:
Layer Name or Table:
Spatial Reference (optional):

I clicked on the (Browser) of XY Table of the "Make XY Event Layer" dialog box, and I saw the .mdb extension of Access 2003, but I did not see the .accdb extension of Access 2007 for me to choose and process the XY-coordinates of 10 points of my project site!!??  I do not have the Access 2003 program to generate the mdb extension data anymore. I just have the Access 2007 program to generate the accdb extension data only.   Is any way to bring the accdb extension data into the XY Table  of the "Make XY Event Layer" dialog box?   Please kindly help and advise me to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DennisJarrard
Esri Contributor
In order to connect to a Microsoft Access 2007 Database (.accdb), you will need to set up an OLE DB connection. There is actually a Help Document that will walk you through the process. Once you establish the connection, you should be able to browse directly to the tables in the Access Database through the connection you created. If you prefer to work with .mdb a databases, you can open the Access database in Microsoft Access and save it as a 2003-2007 version. Here are the steps to setup the connection from the Help Document linked above.

1. If Microsoft Office 2007 is installed on the same machine as ArcGIS, skip to step 2. If attempting to connect to an .accdb file on a machine that does not have Microsoft Office 2007, download AccessDatabaseEngine.exe from 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components.
2. In ArcCatalog or the Catalog window, double-click the Database Connections folder.
3. Double-click Add OLE DB Connections.
4. Click the Provider tab.
5. Click Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider.
6. Click Next.
7. On the Connection tab, specify the database or browse to it in section one. If the database has a password, enter that information in section two.
8. Click Test Connection to verify that you can connect to the database.
9. Click OK if the connection test was successful.
10. Type a new name for the connection and press ENTER.
11. To use the Access table, browse to the table through the OLE DB connection and add it to ArcMap.
0 Kudos