ArcGIS 10 (w/ SP2) crashes when running a simple model from Model Builder

11-02-2011 09:29 AM
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
I created a simple model to derive Slope, Aspect, and Curvature from a DEM.  When I "run the entire model" or use the "run" toggle button..the model begins to run and then ArcGIS crashes.  When I open the output file location, I see that slope and aspect were created but curvature was not.  I tried to run just the curvature portion of the model and it again crashes. I have used model builder several times in 9.3.1 and I know it can be touchy, so I have learned what to look for...but this is my first time using it in version 10.  Suggestions??
0 Kudos
8 Replies
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
troubleshooting continues...I went back in and check my geoprocessing environments, and geoprocessing options and they were correct, so that's not it.
0 Kudos
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
I have tried renaming and that didn't work so...I decided to try the tool outside of model builder.  It is my tool. The curvature tool crashes ArcGIS even when not used in model builder with freshly re-downloaded source data (which is working for others) and all created names changed to something that has never been used before.
0 Kudos
ValentinaBoycheva
New Contributor III
I haven't used the DEM tools in version 10 yet, so these are general considerations.

Did you try inserting print statements after each critical step? At least you will figure out what exactly causes the crash. You mentioned renaming - I would use very short dataset names (starting with a letter), no slashes/underscores and other fancy symbols, location for FGDB and PGDB - just one level below root (C:\, D:\, etc), no UNC paths. Also try with a smaller subset - could be a matter of size (know this from my own bitter experience).

Regards,
Valentina Boycheva
0 Kudos
LarryHurst
New Contributor
FYI, be sure to copy/paste  your model into a backup file frequently.  ArcMap crashed on me when editing a model and it became corrupted and unusable! I have a support call into ESRI now...
0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
Also can you share your model?
0 Kudos
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
So I still don't have an answer to why my tools  (some, not all) are crashing ArcGIS 10 when used inside model builder or outside of model builder.  I have downloaded SP3 also. This was a class assignment and my professor told me just to skip the "curvature tool" part.
0 Kudos
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
Also can you share your model?

The model is just a dem with 3 tools attached in series slope, aspect, and curvature.  It is an extremely simple model.  Also note that the curvature tool doesn't work outside of model builder either.
0 Kudos
StephanieShaw
New Contributor II
I haven't used the DEM tools in version 10 yet, so these are general considerations.

Did you try inserting print statements after each critical step? At least you will figure out what exactly causes the crash. You mentioned renaming - I would use very short dataset names (starting with a letter), no slashes/underscores and other fancy symbols, location for FGDB and PGDB - just one level below root (C:\, D:\, etc), no UNC paths. Also try with a smaller subset - could be a matter of size (know this from my own bitter experience).

Regards,
Valentina Boycheva

I tired storing it in C:\, I have no characters other than letters and no spaces.  Note this is a class assignment and no one else had trouble.  This is the 2nd time I have had trouble with Arc toolbox tools on an assignment using version 10.  I didn't have these problems w/ 9.3.1..  A apperciate your response though.
0 Kudos