ArcGIS 10: Calculate Field problem Error 000303

09-18-2010 02:45 AM
SoniaHugh
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm having problems doing a simple task that I had no problems with in Arc 9.3.  I'm trying to do a simple filling of a column in an attribute table.  I create a field 'Veg_Type' for the attribute table and give it a string type property.  Join the table with a csv file with matching values an a 'VEG' text column I'm using to populate the newly made 'Veg_Type' field.  I right click on the column header for the 'Veg_Type' field, open up the field calculator and pick the 'VEG' field to populate the new field.

Unfortunately, I get the following error  "Error 000303: Field ger_rc_mger.vat:Veg_Type does not exist."  Why does it not recognise the newly added field?

Hope you can help me out.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
Try leaving out the underscore in the field name.
0 Kudos
RyanWilliams1
New Contributor
I'm getting the 000303 error joining a dbf to a grid VAT in version 10. The field I added to my VAT is 'EIE' defined as integer. I tried right clicking the field to calculate it, and also the ArcToolbox calculate field tool. Both result in same error. Thanks to anyone with ideas on this.
0 Kudos
ChrisSimpson
New Contributor
After you join the table, Export Data to a new grid. This seems to legitimize the vat somehow so now you can edit it as normal.
0 Kudos
RyanWilliams1
New Contributor
Thanks Chris, I will try that next time.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
When calcing a field in a vat from a joined table via Python (v93), you must first:

1. Create a table view from the vat table.
2. Join the vat to the lookup table
3. CRITICAL: Select all the records (this is bag and is specific to vat tables). Use the SelectByAttribute tool - leave the SQL blank , and specify "SWITCH_SELECTION", or something to get all the records selected.
4. Calc the field
5. Remove the join
0 Kudos
SoniaHugh
New Contributor
Hi All again!

I'm still at a loss with this problem.  I've tried out the suggestions, and no success.  The main problem seems like the field calculator is not recognising the VAT table join (I can see the join in the VAT table, but the field calculator does not have any fields when open)

This is a very trivial thing in Arc9.3, and I used it all the time.  Please help me out.... it's very frustrating.
0 Kudos