Align boundary of one polygon to another

08-23-2017 07:24 PM
DianaGrill
New Contributor II

Adjusting boundary of the polygon from one layer to the boundary of a polygon from another layer.   

Working in ArcGIS 10.2.1, I have a geographic boundary (polygon1) in one layer that I need to snap to another dissemination area boundary (polygon 2) in another layer.  I tried using the snapping toolbar, but it retained polygon 1's shape, which I don't want.  I want it to reshape it to polygon 2's boundary.  I tried using align to shape.  I used the trace button to trace the boundary I wanted around polygon 2 and the part of polygon 1 that I want to keep (see the attached pic).  However, the align button that is supposed to be active does not activate.  I even tried increasing the buffer to see if the button would activate but it didn't.  Does anyone know why this didn't work or another way to do this. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is that the space you are trying to fill? the white gap within the black border?

If so, how are the edges supposed to 'grow'?

It isn't clear exactly what is to happen to the core area in the picture

Also, were you trying to do it all in one go with the Snap tool in the Editor toolbox, rather than in an edit session?

DianaGrill
New Contributor II

Hi dan, 

the white border is due to the 800m tolerance i used to try to get the align button to activate.   The shape is the shape I drew using the align to shape tool with the old part of polygon1 and the boundary of polygon2.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since the align shape tool didn't appear to work, why don't you just union the two polygons together.  I see no obvious way to have your existing shape 'expand' to the desired border size given the complexity of the inner set of polygons.  I suspect that manually dealing with the perimeter area will ultimately be the quickest solution

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could also try Reshaping a polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop . While reshaping the polygon, you could also trace the boundary of the desired polygon (using Trace Tool).

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Aligning features to a shape .

You could have a look at a few other tools About aligning features 

Think Location
MarijaBogdanova
New Contributor II

I know why it probably wasn't working for you - on your screenshot, next to 'align selected features', you have 0 features selected. The tool can work when you've selected specific features from the layer you want to align. (had to figure it out myself recently  )