Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset - geoprocessing still going even though messages indicate successful completion

02-17-2016 01:27 AM
DanEvans
Occasional Contributor II

I set the Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset tool running yesterday morning at 09:37. According to the messages in the Results window, it successfully completed at 04:20 this morning. It's now 09:24, and the background geoprocessing still seems to be going: the name of the tool is still scrolling at the bottom right of my ArcMap window, and the dataset in the table of contents is still locked out, although the footprints are displaying in the data view.

Is it safe to close ArcMap or is it still actually doing something?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanEvans

I'm using 10.2.1

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Open a new ArcMap session. Create a backup of the mosaic dataset. Open the copied mosaic dataset in ArcMap. If everything is fine, then you could close the previous ArcMap session.

Think Location
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan

The AddRasters command is very quick. 1000 rasters should be addd in up to 3 minutes.

Why is it taking so much time?

Is your disk access so slow?

This might be part of the problem.

DanEvans

Hi,

I am mosaicing 4 sets of LiDAR DTM data at various resolutions, plus another lower resolution DTM - I first converted each of these from TIFFs into mosaics, which was fairly quick, now I am mosaicing all 5 mosaics into a master one - I'm also creating overviews, pyramids and statistics etc. so I think that's why it was taking so long...

I've made a copy and opened it in another ArcMap session and everything looks okay, although the first one is still going...

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

EDIT: See Mody Buchbinder​   comments, and my correction in the comment after.  In short, the flow is  multiple-mosaics into a Derived-mosaic with multiple Reference-mosaics able to made from that.  However, the links I have listed below are still good info.

Dan, are you using Create a Reference Mosaic Dataset.....ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Summary

Creates a new mosaic dataset from an existing raster catalog, a selection set from a raster catalog, or a mosaic dataset.

This combines the other mosaic datasets into one, without reprocessing("re-referencing") all the source data files again.  much faster and you can combine different coordinate systems, etc.

from this page  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)   (highlight was in my doc..no the help)

For example, you could create a mosaic dataset to manage all your DEM data, then create a referenced mosaic dataset to produce a hillshade or a slope product from the source mosaic dataset. Or, you could manage all your image data in one mosaic dataset but create a referenced mosaic dataset to distribute the image data according to a particular date or type of image. Sharing access to a referenced mosaic dataset also ensures that those accessing it cannot make modifications to the source mosaic dataset, which could impact other users.

And a list of other reference links that I have...just in case you feel like diving in (some are Image Service ext related)

imagery script (from AGOL…zip file)
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=08a57579df294f569906cee1c69381a6

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

As far as I understand ref mosaic can be subset of one mosaic but cannot append two mosaics.

The correct way to append mosaics is to use the AddRaster with the Table option. This will copy the pootprint polygons from all the mosaics to one mosiac (include overviews polygons). This option is even quicker then AddRasters of simple rasters (no need to find the raster extent).

Check the Derived mosaic in this help : Imagery: Data management patterns and recommendations—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Have fun

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mody...you are correct...and I'll make note in my other post. I get the Reference and Derived mixed up in my mind, but it is the second pattern on this page specifically Imagery: Data management patterns and recommendations—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   that I was trying to recall.

Derived mosaic dataset

This is used to define collections of imagery often viewed by users as a single collection. The source of a derived mosaic dataset is generally one or more source mosaic datasets. For example, this could be a collection of all natural color imagery, with the source coming from multiple source mosaic datasets. It is recommended that you provide access to (publish) this mosaic dataset using a reference mosaic dataset to keep it secure. Additionally, you can create other mosaic datasets from this to provide specific imagery products—such as a specific band combination—or only over a specific area.

Source mosaic datasets added to derived mosaic dataset

The image and raster data are added via a mosaic dataset to a derived mosaic dataset.

I'm still learning and trying to get my head around it too.  Thanks for the correction!

0 Kudos