10.1 SP1 ISSUE - NIM081369 A model with the Join Field tool crashes ArcMap.

12-07-2012 06:49 AM
MattMiley
Occasional Contributor
This update broke the Join Field Tool for me.

The fields join but no data comes with it.

arcpy.JoinField_management(CCTV_Survey1, "CCTV_Survey_Id", CCTV_Survey_Header1, "CCTV_Survey_Id", "")

Did the developers test this extensively?

I'm joins to data tables with a long Int. Pretty simple stuff but it doesn't work.

NIM081369 A model with the Join Field tool crashes ArcMap. <J Messed it up i believe.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
StevePeaslee
Occasional Contributor
Hi Matt,

I have used JoinField with Python script tools for 9.3.1, 10.0 and 10.1 SP1. In most cases I used them for featureclass to standalone table 'joins' or raster to standalone table 'joins' within a file geodatabase. I usually don't use JoinField in a table to table join and never across two different workspaces.

The only issue I've ever had was at 9.3.1 I had to select all records in the target layer or table to get JoinField to work properly. Otherwise I ended up with the new field(s), but NO data. No error messages were ever generated when it failed either. I haven't had any problems with 10.1, so I dropped the 'select all process' from my scripts.

I know there was at least one thread in the forums with folks getting partial data population. I that there was a bug report for this issue, but I never saw that kind of behavior. It was all or nothing for me. Another tidbit, I experienced the same behavior whether I ran JoinField from a script or from ArcToolbox.

It is easy enough to test using 'SelectLayerByAttribute'.

-Steve
0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Matt,

Please can you share your data or a sample of your data?
Also, which databases are your inputs stored in?
0 Kudos