What to do when the geomentor is the only administrator for an inactive school license

Jump to solution
02-11-2018 07:35 AM
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

geomentors‌ 

I am currently the administrator for a school license that is inactive.  The principal and teacher with whom I worked left the school.  Although there seemed to be some interest in October by the new principal and science teacher, nothing much as happened since then.  I was wondering how I can unconnect myself from the school license now that I am the only administrator. schools 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian, and any other GeoMentors working with schools (or clubs). If the local school has lost a leader who was interested in working with GIS, or if you need to leave the mentoring relationship (e.g. due to a lack of time, or a change in residence), I suggest talking with someone at the school to take it on. If unsure of whom to contact, check with the school library/media/technology leader(s), who typically know which teachers in the school might find GIS valuable. These library/media/technology leaders are generally interested in providing more access to capacity for their students, rather than seeing capacity vaporize. Esri can work with you and the school to ensure that the license can continue and someone can administer the Org.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian, and any other GeoMentors working with schools (or clubs). If the local school has lost a leader who was interested in working with GIS, or if you need to leave the mentoring relationship (e.g. due to a lack of time, or a change in residence), I suggest talking with someone at the school to take it on. If unsure of whom to contact, check with the school library/media/technology leader(s), who typically know which teachers in the school might find GIS valuable. These library/media/technology leaders are generally interested in providing more access to capacity for their students, rather than seeing capacity vaporize. Esri can work with you and the school to ensure that the license can continue and someone can administer the Org.

BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Charlie for the comment and I do think this is probably an issue that other GeoMentors are noticing.  It seems that when the GIS advocates move on, it is hard to get things going again.  I tried several times to get other teachers and the librarian interested in the program, but the only real activity was limited to one sixth grade classroom.  Cool things happened, don't get me wrong.  For instance, the kids produced story maps in study groups that broke the watershed down into Census blocks so they could compare demographic and stormwater systems (see "Drainage in the Fauntleroy Creek" on the Watershed Council's website.)  At the same time, the school had 500 licenses and there was lots of extra capacity.  I think that the school thought that it would catch on more, and at first there was interest.  I think that it comes down to the teachers not having the time they need to deviate from tried and true curricula.  

My own situation is working out.  I contacted the new principal and new science teacher.  Both the old principal and old science teacher were advocates of the program.  The principal responded and there might be life in the program yet.  For me, I cut ties and managed to remove myself from the organization.  I also approached a local school and got a most enthusiastic response, both from the principal and teacher.  The same day they responded and I had my first face to face a couple of days later.  This school has 50 licenses, which seems like a better start number.  If the program increases, then I hope we can make a case for more licenses.

I am awed by the generosity of Esri and fully believe that learning GIS will help these students become more successful and less likely to be replaced by robotics that will be their major challenge for employment.  Thanks for your comment and for helping to get this issue out there on Geonet.

0 Kudos