September GeoMentor Spotlight: Adam Araza

09-09-2019 08:08 AM
CandiceLuebbering
Occasional Contributor
0 0 427

Each month we feature GeoMentor volunteers to showcase the wonderful talent available in our community to assist K-12 schools.

Read our full collection of GeoMentor spotlights online. Want to be featured? Information is available on our program website.
Name: Adam Araza
Position/Job and Affiliation: GIS Analyst – City of Cupertino
What was your favorite class in K-12? English

How did you first learn about and/or use GIS? 

I wasn’t too sure about what I wanted to major in my first couple years in college. My uncle worked as a city planner, and he would tell me: “companies are always hiring for people that know GIS”. So, one year, to avoid taking a chemistry class, I registered for physical geography, and the professor of that class repeated the same advice. The next semester, I enrolled in an intro GIS course and ended up getting my BA in geography.

Name one thing you love about GIS and/or geography (I know, just one!):

The flexibility to apply Geography/GIS knowledge to different fields.

Why did you want to volunteer as a GeoMentor?

I have found working in GIS to be a rewarding career. I wanted to spread the word to those who may not be aware.

What kind of GeoMentor volunteer opportunity and experience are you looking for? 

I’d like to find the time in my schedule to teach GIS on-site. I haven’t been able devote enough time to coordinate with a local school, but I am proud to say that since volunteering to become a GeoMentor, I started a scholarship that requires students to answer a geography-based prompt.  

If someone asked you why they should learn about GIS and/or geography, how would you respond in one sentence?

Companies are always hiring for people that know GIS.

Email address: arraraza@gmail.com 
Website(s): LinkedIn
About the Author
Senior Research Geographer with the Association of American Geographers; Map Nerd