October 2018 Spotlight GeoMentor: Jessica Rosales

10-11-2018 08:19 AM
JoleneKeen1
Occasional Contributor II
1 0 866

October 2018 GeoMentor Spotlight:

Jessica Rosales, ESRI Technical Certification Program Coordinator &Adjunct Instructor, University of Redlands School of Business

What was your favorite class in K-12? My high school participated with the Colton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational Program (CRY-ROP). This coursework allowed me to earn a medical front and back office certificate, participate as an intern at our local medical office, and earn a scholarship to continue my education at our local community college. Learning technical skills in high school gave me direction and confidence to enter the workforce while I continued my education.

How did you first learn about and/or use GIS? While earning my bachelor’s degree at the University of Redlands, School of Business. I attended a Speaker Series presentation hosted by the School’s Center for Spatial Business (CSB). The ability to visualize demographic data by location was fascinating. I began volunteering at the CSB, where I learnt how to think spatially and use ArcGIS software to translate spatial thinking into maps.

Name one thing you love about GIS and/or geography (I know, just one!)  I love that geography allows us to understand our biosphere and the impact of human activities, while a GIS allows us to organize, store, and visualize all the data about this relationship. It’s like peanut butter and chocolate – they’re both great but together they are awesome!

Why did you want to volunteer as a GeoMentor? As an adjunct instructor for the School of Business, I understand that it is often a struggle to navigate the complexities associated with providing students an opportunity to learn the functionality of ArcGIS, while teaching business theories, and soft-skills as one unified skill. I became a GeoMentor to support instructors as they navigate these complexities. I’ve always had a team of champions that mentored me, and I’d like to share that support with other instructors so that they can champion their student’s digital transformation.

What kind of GeoMentor volunteer opportunity and experience are you looking for? It would be an honor to assist higher education institutions integrate ArcGIS tools and workflows into their curriculum to enhance the learning experience of their students. Most of my mentorship experiences have been centered around understanding the business value of GIS, but I’m open to new opportunities.
If someone asked you why they should learn about GIS and/or geography, how would you respond in one sentence?
Students that use ArcGIS for their coursework can demonstrate their knowledge as a holistic project-based solution that better reflects workforce expectations. Regardless of industry, decision makers need to identify relationships and patterns within their data to determine if the results will support daily operations and competitive advantages. 

Email address: JRosalesProductions@gmail.com

Read my blog and chat about ArcGIS with me in GeoNet
Share your GIS tidbits with me in Twitter
View my professional accomplishments in LinkedIn

Read about our latest featured GeoMentor here!
If you are interested in being featured, visit here for more information.

Questions? Email geomentors@aag.org.