What is the difference between adding a view directly in Oracle and using arcpy.CreateDatabaseView_management?

Jump to solution
05-30-2017 09:35 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

If I need to create database views on spatial layers, it is better to add them directly in Oracle using create view function or using python using the arcpy.CreateDatabaseView_management function?

Is there any difference in performance, the way they function etc?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

It is the same thing.

Create a database view in ArcGIS Desktop—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  mentions the below:

Be aware that no matter which method you use, the view is a database view; even if it is created in an enterprise geodatabase, it is not a geodatabase object until you register it with the geodatabase.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

It is the same thing.

Create a database view in ArcGIS Desktop—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  mentions the below:

Be aware that no matter which method you use, the view is a database view; even if it is created in an enterprise geodatabase, it is not a geodatabase object until you register it with the geodatabase.

DeanHowell1

Thanks Asrujit and thanks for the tip regarding registering it as that was the step I was missing

DeanHowell1

How do you register the view with the geodatabase when using ArcGIS 10.3 and Oracle 12c? 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
DeanHowell1

Thanks Asrujit, previously written SDE command line tools, working in oracle 11g, have stopped working since we upgraded to Oracle 12c and ArcGIS 10.3. The business has no immediate intention to upgrade to 10.5 as there is too much integration dependant on the 10.3 installation.  

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Considering Oracle 12c was supported at ArcGIS 10.2.x (I think it was starting from 10.2.1), the 10.2.2 SDE Command line tools should work for the Oracle 12c databases at version 10.3. Its been sometime that I needed to use the SDE Command line tools, so I don't remember it exactly.

This link  ArcSDE application server for Oracle installation guide mentions that

There is not a separate installation for Oracle 12c. Use the ArcSDE Application Server for Oracle 11g installation.

Maybe a quick call to Esri Tech Support and they can show you.

DeanHowell1

Esri Australia tried and got the same error that I did but am hoping it is just a connection string difference. Thanks for your input

0 Kudos