What is the best database for arcgis? Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, other ..?

12-22-2016 11:43 AM
LeonardoCarvallo1
New Contributor

I would like to know the opinion of experienced people. As it is the stability of the use, tools for the administration, connections in network, remote connections ect ..arcgis database‌ postgres oracle sqlserver sde tools #gis connections

5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is no "best."  The reason Esri supports enterprise geodatabases in more than one DBMS is a recognition of the fact that most organizations choose their enterprise DBMS platform for many reasons, and ArcGIS likely isn't one of the big drivers for the choice.

I have worked with enterprise geodatabases in SQL Server and Oracle.  My preference is SQL Server, but that is strongly driven by my deeper familiarity with Microsoft database platforms over the years.  I can find other people in my organization that would say Oracle because they are more familiar with Oracle.

There are pluses and minuses to choosing either DBMS.  I think a better question to the community would be to state your requirements and ask what people think would meet those requirements best.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...and cost can be a heavy player in the decision on which to use.

LeonardoCarvallo1
New Contributor

Actually I do not have experiences with database, recently I have taken my first steps with Postgres and SQL Server. As soon as I have experience and define my needs I will ask more specific questions. Thank you very much

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Joshua and Rebecca are correct - experience with an RDBMS, non-Esri application business needs and cost are all factors in deciding what RDBMS to acquire for a multiuser geodatabase.  PostgreSQL is a free RDBMS that many users like.  SQL Server is the dominate RDBMS used in GIS for many reasons.  Oracle is very capable as well and is used quite a bit in the GIS community.  At the end of the day, you have to think about $$$, non-Esri applications, and DBA salary/bene's/etc as well.  Regardless of the Esri supported RDBMS you acquire, your multiuser geodatabase experience will be the same.

TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

I vote for SQL Server. I learned it in 2 weeks from scratch (add on another 3 weeks and I had my first Enterprise Geodatabase in ArcGIS for Server up and running!). Plus ArcGIS for Server includes free SQL Server Express which you can load on your local machine and fool around with it. I tried to work with Oracle, but could never figure it out. I found Oracle overly complex and required too much intervention from our IT folks, something you want to avoid at all costs if you are a GIS Professional. That Oracle TOAD licked me and I never recovered. Stick to SQL Server.